As a missionary, I had the bad habit of using big, dumb tentpole movies to highlight a gospel lesson.* (Kind of like the missionary in this strip I published oh so long ago on this site.)
With this year's slate of big Hollywood films about ready to premier, I figured I'd take a stab at what tomorrow's missionaries will be gleaming from the googolplex this summer.
- Captain America: Civil War - "The war in heaven was likely much like the battle between Steve Rogers and Tony Stark, except with less special effects and funny one-liners."
- X-Men: Apocalypse - "I haven't actually read the Book of Revelation, but I figure it must be something like that movie where the X-Men battle the four horsemen of the apocalypse."
- Finding Dory - "Elder, if Dory can find her family then we can find a golden investigator. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
- Ghostbusters - "Just like the Ghostbusters, you need to capture a ghost--the holy ghost. But instead of a proton pack and a containment unit, you'll need to study the scriptures and pray."
- Jason Bourne - "Think of the veil we past through as Jason Bourne's amnesia. We've got huge reserves of untapped potential we don't even know about."**
**This one's actually pretty good. I think I'll use it in my next talk.